Don’t be fooled…that bowl of “oatmeal” has as much protein as a scoop of protein powder.
I was so excited to try my TVP (textured vegetable protein) as “oatmeal” this morning. What a great way to cut down carbs and up that protein intake for bfast while still enjoying a bowl of warm goodness.
Here’s what I did for this bowl…
-1 ripe banana
-1 TBS steel cut oats (rolled or instant ok too)
-1/2 cup TVP
-Dash of cinnamon
-Water or skim milk, almond milk, soy milk etc.
1. Mix the dry oats and TVP in a bowl and add enough water/milk to generously cover the surface of the ingredients.
2. Place in microwave for 3 minutes if using steel cut oats, less if using rolled or instant.
3. Take out, stir. If you like it mushy add more liquid and reheat.
4. Peel a ripe banana and place right in the bowl. Heat for 1:30 to 2 minutes.
5. Take a spoon and slice the banana into coins. Should be very easy!
6. Stir it all up! Add a dash of cinnamon! If you need more sweetness you can add some brown sugar or dried berries, but I think a ripened and cooked banana is sweet enough!
Great! Normally I’d have to boil steel cut oats for 30 min on the stove to get a nutty yet mushy consistency but today I was feeling experimental so I microwaved them for 3 min. I’d suggest using rolled oats in the microwave for this recipe if you have them. My taste buds are pretty weird so I liked the super crunchy appeal of the microwaved steel cut oats.
The oats mixed with the TVP created an overall oatmeal taste. I am so happy that I can eat this for bfast and be full longer. 1/2 cup of TVP has 22g of protein! Whenever I eat regular oatmeal I get hungry quickly because of the carb content. This is revolutionary!
I love TVP! So far I have used it as a grain replacement and as a meat substitute. Versatility to the max!