Couldn’t give you guys a new video this week so must make up with a written workout. Ready? Let’s go!
(just pretend I’m on video saying “c’mon guys, you’re worth it, let’s do it!!!! Halfway there!!!!)
- Warm up with the hundred (legs in table top, 90, or 45 in a diagonal) - 100x obviously
- Double leg stretch - 8x nice slow and controlled
- Double leg lifts - 20x
- Single leg drop - 20x alternating
- Single leg lift - 20x alternating
- Criss cross - 20x slow
- Criss cross - 20x super fast!!!!
- Roll up - 5x nice and slow
- Roll over - 8x nice and slow
- Earthquake - at least 1 minute! But go as long as you can!
- Plank - at least 1 minute, same as above.
- Elongated plank - at least 1 minute, same as above.
If you are unfamiliar with these terms just google them for now. I am working on a picture index for the pilates exercises. Coming soon! Taking the “a” and “b” shots on the beach :)
Also if you’ve been doing my POP Pilates videos you should know what I’m talking about!
Ok, gotta sleep now. It’s Big Island time tomorrow. I’ll try to film some POP Pilates on a volcano :)
After little sleep and a 6 hour flight from Boston to the Bay Area, I decided it’d be a great idea to get excited for Hawaii with a fun and intense circuit! We must be bikini ready always!
So my sis and I got in our workout gear and KILLED IT in our living room. I haven’t worked out at home for years but let me tell you, we were sweating like crazy!!! I came up with a burpeelicious routine.
I challenge you to try this. It is a series of 10 exercises repeated one after the other - 50 sec performing move, 10 sec rest. Once all 10 exercises are completed, repeat the whole circuit 3 more times! In between each circuit you will rest for 1 full minute. The whole workout will take 44 minutes. It will fly by though especially if you’re with a friend!
Repeat this circuit 4x over!
- Pushups on toes
- Tuck jumps
- Releve or heel raises for calves
- Plank to side plank (switching side to side continuously)
- Charleston (see my POP Cardio Kick It workout)
- Elbow pushups or Up-Up-Down-Downs
- Lunge pulses right leg
- Lunge pulses left leg
- Hold Teaser with single leg drops
Ahh!!! It was so good!!! Let me know if you try it.
This is a super quick recipe for when you have a Cinnabon craving. All you need is a coffee mug and your microwave - no oven required!
CINNAMON ROLL (1 serving):
*1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I use Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein)
*4 TBSP of egg whites (or you can use 1 egg, calculations based off of egg whites)
*1/2 TBSP water
*1 tsp cinnamon
*1/2 tsp splenda or stevia (I calculated calories with splenda)
FITNESS FROSTING (1 serving):
*1 heaping tablespoon of Chobani nonfat greek yogurt
*1/4 tsp vanilla extract
*a tiny pinch of splenda or stevia to taste (I calculated calories with splenda)
1. In a coffee mug, mix protein powder, egg white, water, cinnamon and sweetener till blended well.
2. Place in the microwave for about 45 seconds. The batter will rise a ton so make sure you keep an eye on it so it doesn’t spill over. If it is not ready when you take it out just place in the microwave again for 10 seconds at a time until firm.
3. Flip over onto a plate and cut in 2!
4. For the fitness frosting, simply mix your Chobani greek yogurt, sweetener and vanilla extract together until smooth. Then top your little guys.
5. Sprinkle with a little more cinnamon on top for the Cinnabon effect.
NUTRITION FACTS: 194 cals, 0.7g fat, 6.9g carbs, 2.2g fiber, 37g protein (whoa amazing!)
Ever hear people talk about complete and incomplete proteins? What does it all mean - isn’t a protein a protein?
If you know a little about science you’d know that there are all types of proteins because proteins are made up of different combinations of amino acids (the building blocks of protein).
What fitness and nutrition people call “complete” proteins are the ones made up of the nine essential amino acids in sufficient proportions. These are deemed essential because these are the ones needed for you to function properly as a human being! If you care, they are:
So now you know enough to say that an incomplete protein is simply one that lacks one of more of those nine essential amino acids listed above!
So where can you get your complete proteins? Meat eaters in general do not have to worry about this because common animal-based foods are considered the primary sources of complete protein. Most plant-based foods are usually incomplete, but below I have compiled a list of complete protein examples for meat eaters and vegetarians.
Examples of Complete Proteins for Meat Eaters:
- Whey protein powder
Examples of Complete Proteins for Vegetarians and Vegans:
- Soybeans (so yes edamame and tofu counts!)
- Soy protein powder
When you eat any of the foods listed above, you get all nine essential amino acids in a single food source. There’s no need to take extra amino acid supplements! For the average person who eats a variety of meat and veggies, you’re probably already getting your complete protein and do not need to worry about consumption of complete proteins.
How much protein do I need?
According to the Harvard School of Public Health,
“There is no one-size-fits-all answer to that question, and research on the topic is still emerging. The Institute of Medicine recommends that adults get a minimum of 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight per day—that’s about 64 grams for a 160 pound adult. In the U.S., adults get an average of 15 percent of their calories from protein; for a person who requires a 2,000-calorie-per-day-diet, that’s about 75 grams of protein. In healthy people, increasing protein intake to 20 to 25 percent of calories can reduce the risk of heart disease, if the extra protein replaces refined carbohydrates, such as white bread, white rice, or sugary drinks. Higher protein diets can also be beneficial for weight loss, in conjunction with a reduced calorie diet, although long-term evidence of their effectiveness is wanting.”
Your protein needs depend on our age, size, and activity level.
For the average person…
The standard method used by nutritionists to estimate our minimum daily protein requirement is to multiply the body weight in kilograms by .8, or weight in pounds by .37. This is the number of grams of protein that should be the daily MINIMUM.
For the exerciser or people looking to lose weight…
There is evidence that people engaging in endurance exercise (such as long distance running) or heavy resistive exercise (such as body building) can benefit from additional protein in their diets. 1.2 to 1.4 grams per kilogram of body weight per day for endurance exercisers and 1.7 to 1.8 grams per kg per day for heavy strength training.
Just remember if you’re looking to lose weight, don’t just add protein, REPLACE refined carb calories with protein calories! It will help you stay full longer and build lean muscle mass. Find out how many calories you need to consume to lose of maintain a healthy weight in my older post here.
1kg = 2.2 lbs
My body weight in kg: 118lbs/2.2 = 53.6kg
My minimum protein intake: 53.6kg*0.8 or 118lbs*0.37 = 44g
My protein intake as a runner: 53.6kg*1.4g = 75g
My protein intake as a weight lifter: 53.6kg*1.8g = 96.4g
If you don’t want to whip out your calculator, and you want to build muscle and stay slim, I would just recommend eating 1g of protein for every pound of DESIRED body weight. That’s what I do. That’s it!
Q & A time with Cassey - this was fun! I omitted any questions that were like “Cassey I’m 5’2” 150 lbs and love to eat cheeseburgers. How do I lose 20 lbs in 8 weeks?” You can ask me that in the new Blogilates Forum which I comb through everyday. Here we go, in no order whatsoever…
1. What’s your favorite movie and/or type of movie? This is really geeky but I really liked Social Network. I found it inspirational and was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I also love GREASE. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. Musicals and romantic comedies are the best.
2. Are you a bookworm or do you prefer magazines? If so what kinds? :) (apart from “pilates books are my favorite thing in the world!”) Umm, no I am NOT a bookworm at all! What I read is mostly self help stuff like nutrition books or bios about successful entrepreneurs. My latest read is the Zappos CEO’s book “Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, & Purpose”.
3. Do you ever have days where you go crazy and just eat chocolate and ice cream and biscuits and anything else bad you can get your hands on?? ;) OF COURSE! Sometimes there’s days where I feel like I screwed up and ate a bad breakfast so I’m like, eff this, I’m eating this tub of ice cream cuz I wanna.
4. What’s your favorite song of the moment? Hmm, I don’t have a fave song right now. It’s kinda sad. Any suggestions?
5. What bands do you like? I like anything pop obviously, gangster songs annoy me, love Michael Jackson, Daft Punk, Little Boots, Ce Jeu, Maroon 5…
6. Why do you live where you live? I am in Boston right now.
7. how old are you :) 24
8. Were you ever a chubby kid growing up or were you always skinny and or conscious of your weight? Oh man, there is such a back story to this. Yes. I was a chubby kid. I had a double chin in my 2nd grade picture day photo. Eew. One time this other kid asked me why I was so fat in elementary school and I cried for days. I thinned out in high school because I was on the tennis team all 4 years. My thinnest being the height I am now (5’5”) was about 110 lbs sophomore year of high school. No definition though. When I went to college, I had up and down years but pretty much was my heaviest ever my Junior year I think…even went up to 135 lbs I one point. I have always worked out but was not as knowledgeable as I am now about diet and nutrition. I am now 118 lbs, strong, and happy.
9. What made you decide to make bags and mats? I couldn’t find a fashionable mat bag carrier back in college so I decided to make one for myself. When my students ended up liking the Beverly Bowtie so I contacted a manufacturer in the US and made a bunch. Luckily people bought them! On to round 2 now which will include gym bags and men’s yoga bags.
10. How do you stay motivated? I work hard and I don’t ever want to do anything that will “ruin” my health and my body. I like feeling stronger and faster. I also love clothes so looking good in them keeps me motivated. It’s the truth!
11. What is your diet like? Lots of lean protein and veggies. Love fruits. Love yogurt. I don’t eat rice, bread, or refined carbs. It makes me bloated and makes me look preggers. Yes, as an Asian, it was hard to explain to my parents why I can’t eat rice. I’ll eat oatmeal sometimes and once in a while I’ll make some awesome whole wheat muffins if I am really craving a bread type thing. But that’s on occasion.
12. Are you tidy? I used to be. Recently, NO!!!
13. Do you have a routine day to day? Since I quit my corporate job in the fashion world, my day to day routine consists of waking up, eating breakfast, checking email, commenting on tumblr, facebook, twitter, and youtube, teaching my afternoon pilates mat or pilates reformer classes, eating lunch, working on design stuff while checking email, teaching more evening classes, working out (this can be in the AM or PM depending on when I wake up), eating dinner, more computer time, and sleep eventually! I’ll film vids and hang out with friends on Fridays or the weekends.
14. Do you have any pets? I have one turtle. His name is Turtle.
15. Do you keep a journal? No, I used to then my sister found it :P
16. What’s your guilty pleasure(s)? Totally fried ice cream.
17. Do you miss your family? No, my parents have always been very controlling. I love them but I like my independence.
18. What would be your desert island must haves? Wow that’s a toughie. Umm. Well if the desert island had outlets and wifi then my computer. BUT I am guessing not. So pens, pencils, and paper for drawing. A big hat to protect me from the sun. A LifeStraw so that I can drink water from any pond without dying. And a real buff guy who can help me build a hut, hunt for food, and construct a boat so we can get outta there!
19. How do you keep your hair so nice all the time? I occasionally get trims and I just use regular Fructis Garnier shampoo and conditioner. I straighten my hair when I want to look put together but it is naturally wavy.
20. I want to know if you have a favorite magazine! Women’s Health, SHAPE Magazine.
21. Favorite brand of clothes? :D I used to be addicted to anything Anthropologie, wasn’t partial to any brand in particular. But now I feel like they are just so darn expensive! I love Stella McCartney for Adidas and Lululemon.
22. Where are you from? I was born in LA and grew up in the Bay Area in CA. My ethnicity? Chinese and Vietnamese.
23. Do you have dog or a cat:)? No but secretly I want a super duper giant crazy dog and micro mini itty bitty dog.
24. Are you shopping freak? Yes. Totally. My closets are OVERFILLED with clothes and shoes. I have a separate closet for workout clothes only.
25. Do you polish your nails:)? Yes when I am feeling pretty :)
26. Do you love children? Do I love children? I think everyone does!
27. Do you take any supplements? If so what kind. I only have vanilla whey protein powder. That’s it. I mainly use it for my protein pancakes.
28. How many languages can you speak? I can speak Vietnamese with an American accent and English. I won’t even count Spanish but I can read, write, and speak a little.
29. What’s you favourite television series? Glee!!! I am going to see their concert in a week!
30. Are you a slasher movie fan or do you prefer romantic chick flicks? I HATE scary movies. Rom-coms all the way.
31. Do you ever have a fat day when you allow yourself naughty treats? :) Yes. I can eat like Adam Richman on Man V. Food. I’ve made a donut cheeseburger before :P
32. What did you go to China for? To find a new bag manufacturer! And to look at new fabrics.
33. You eat so healthily, but what is you dirty little food secret? I mentioned what my bad food faves are in the other questions, but my dirty food secret is that I can eat SO MUCH that you’d think my stomach was a bottomless pit. I said I CAN. But I don’t :P
34. When did you get into your first serious relationship? End of my junior year in college. (To the person who wrote this, I know there was another part to this question but I can’t really answer it right now)
35. What is your favorite non-healthy food? :) Tempura fried ice cream. Vanilla ice cream in a waffle cone. Strawberry cheesecake. Egg custard tarts. Peanut butter in the heaping spoonfuls. OMG dying.
36. Do you live in L.A.? I want to move there so so bad, is it nice? I used to! I was born there and went to college there. I love it. Traffic is bad though. Really, really bad.
37. Is being a pilates & fitness instructor your full time job? and what got you into it? It’s not a full time job. I teach a dozen times a week but my main job is running oGorgeous, soon to be Flomme.
38. Do your parents support you being a health/pilates teaching person? Haha, teaching is something I do because I love it. My parents used to ask me to quit teaching back in college and focus on my studies. I was like no WAYYY! Teaching was the only thing keeping me sane through school as a Bio major. But honestly, I love leading classes so much - the energy is just invigorating.